We are now accepting event proposals for the 2021 Edition of San Francisco Design Week. Anyone can submit an idea for an event to engage and interact with attendees during the festival when we explore innovation, technology, design industry topics or tackle issues within our shared community to make the world a better place for all.
Community Events are produced, managed and funded by your organization. San Francisco Design Week will offer you a calendar listing as an official event on the schedule, manage attendee registration, promote via press releases and social media and host your event on our platform run by our producer and tech manager. We will also be offering guidance for planning. We want to hear about your ideas, products, brands and vision!
Proposals with a diverse line-up of speakers will be given priority by our review committee.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR IN APPLICATIONS:
- PANEL DISCUSSIONS, FIRESIDE CHATS or PRESENTATIONS: Live online or pre-recorded with live Q+A
- VIRTUAL STUDIO TOURS: Only proposals that give a guided tour of the interior/exterior of the studio or create a unique experience that shows off the personality of the studio will be accepted. Studios who submit a panel or slideshow presentation of client work will not be accepted into the Studio Tour category (and will be redirected to apply for a different category)
- WORKSHOPS: workshops should not exceed 2 to 4 hours and be formatted for 1 day. 2-day workshops require an additional application fee for 2 timeslots. Minimum capacity 20 people.
- YOUTH CENTERED ACTIVITIES
- BRAND ACTIVATIONS and PRODUCT LAUNCHES
- CLUBHOUSE EVENTS
- INTERNATIONALLY PRODUCED EVENTS: We’re an international region and if you do business in the Bay Area, hire Bay Area Designers or just want to get your brand out in front of our audience submit a proposal!
- PODCASTS accepted, if content is specifically created for SF Design Week
- Programming that showcases the authenticity and diversity of the Bay Area design community
- Experiences that will resonate with our audience
- Proposals with a diverse line-up of speakers will be given priority by our review committee
- Pro tip: Steer clear of generic topics! Offer a truly unique experience and stand out of the crowd of hundreds of other design events
DATES + INFO
- The 2021 Summer Edition will take place June 7-13 online
- Deadline for Summer Edition proposals May 7th, 2021.
- Autumn/Winter Edition will be a hybrid of in-person and online, local health guidelines permitting. Studios and brands participating in the Summer Edition will be given priority proposal approvals for Autumn/Winter Edition
- Summer Edition Events will be hosted on our platform. You will need a camera and audio (laptop or desktop is fine!)
- Pre-recorded events are accepted and encouraged, with live Q+A offered on your scheduled event date
- Applications will be approved on a rolling basis and will be notified via email within a week
- Please read Hosting Basics and FAQ before applying
- Application fee covers marketing/promotion, technical support and topic feedback as well as an official listing on our calendar
- Community Event host fee $369
- Studio Crawl host fee $359
- Nonprofit Community host fee $125
- Add on Exhibitor Booth fee $150
- Minority owned companies/brands or representing underserved communities: >>Fee waived
WHY DO WE CHARGE AN APPLICATION FEE?
- The application fee allows us to deliver on our promise to effectively promote your event to the press, media and general audience. The fee also covers the cost of our platform where we will host our event, a Producer as your main contact and a Technical manager to make sure your event runs smoothly.
- We offer guidance and consultation with our staff to create a memorable event that is well positioned for the SFDW audience
- If your application is not approved the fees are refunded to you
- Non-Profits register at a reduced fee
- If you are experiencing a hardship, are minority owned or represent an underserved community but would like to participate by hosting an event please >>fill out this application
OUR COMMITTMENT TO DIVERSITY + INCLUSION:
- Celebrate our differences and advocate for each other
- Foster space for accessible and inclusive creativity
- Listen and learn by amplifying marginalized voices
- Spread knowledge and share resources
- Use our power to support our community
This year’s theme, POWER, puts these values into practice as we explore how design can be used to help shift the balance of power in the right direction. For that reason:
- Proposals that include a diverse range of speakers and designers of color will be prioritized by our selection committee
- Please fill out our form if application cost is a barrier for your business or non-profit or you are a minority-owned business or employ a diverse team which will be reflected in your event
- Financial assistance and other resources available for designers of color or marginalized communities who want to participate but need additional resources in order to do so
APPLICATION FOR ASSISTANCE:
or call us at 415-609-6220
WHY PARTICIPATE BY HOSTING AN EVENT?
- Be recognized as a premium industry leader
- Recruit new, top talent
- Get inspired as a team by creating fresh ideas that engage various audiences
- Increase exposure through e-blast promotions
- Promotional post through our social media channels
(25,000+ followers) and media + press engagement
- Gain Official SFDW Participant designation, with rights to use our logo and brand on promotions
- Reach over 40,000+ participating attendees, thought leaders, orgs and companies
- Give back and strengthen the community during the largest coordinated design event in the Bay Area
- Showcase your work and build relationships
WHAT WILL YOU GET?
- We will assign you a team member who will guide you through the process and get you set-up on our platform and be available for technical issues.
- We offer guidance and consultation with our staff to create a memorable event that is well-positioned for the SFDW audience
- Insider tips into the community and culture for Bay Area community of designers
- Inclusion on our Official Events Calendar on sfdesignweek.org which is organized by date and use of SFDW branding
- Full page event promotion on our website complete with your company information and logo, event description, location and ticketing link
WHO GETS INVOLVED
San Francisco Design Week has grown to represent a diverse and vibrant industry across many design disciplines. From small startups to enterprise businesses, our hosts run the gamut:
Business of Design
Film / Media
VR / AR