We are now accepting event proposals for the 2022 Edition of San Francisco Design Week. Anyone is eligible to submit an idea for an event to engage and interact with attendees during the festival when we explore innovation, technology, design industry topics or tackle issues within our shared community to make the world a better place for all.
Community Events are produced, managed and funded by your organization. San Francisco Design Week will offer you use of our official branding and logo, a calendar listing as an official event on the schedule, manage attendee registration, promote via press releases and social media. We will also be offering guidance for planning. We want to hear about your ideas, products, brands and vision!
Proposals with a diverse line-up of speakers will be given priority by our review committee.
APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED: Deadline to submit May 27th.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR IN APPLICATIONS:
- FORMATS: In-Person, In-Person with Livestream to our website, Virtual Online Only with Q+A, Virtual Pre-recorded with Live Q+A, Pre-Recorded On-Demand Video (no live Q+A)
- PANEL DISCUSSIONS, FIRESIDE CHATS or PRESENTATIONS: In Person or Virtual (live or pre-recorded with live Q+A)
- OPEN STUDIO TOURS (In-person only): Only proposals that give a guided tour of the interior/exterior of the studio or create a unique experience that shows off the personality of the studio will be accepted. Studios should not host panels, lectures or other formal programming when selecting OPEN STUDIO TOURS
- WORKSHOPS: workshops should not exceed 2 to 6 hours and be formatted for 1 day. 2-day workshops require an additional application. Minimum capacity 20 people.(In Person or Virtual)
- YOUTH CENTERED ACTIVITIES
- BRAND ACTIVATIONS and PRODUCT LAUNCHES
- INTERNATIONALLY PRODUCED EVENTS: We’re an international community and if you do business in the Bay Area, hire Bay Area Designers or just want to get your brand out in front of our audience please submit a proposal!
- PODCASTS accepted, if content is specifically created for SF Design Week and not replays of old content
- Programming that showcases the authenticity and diversity of the design community
- Experiences that will resonate with our audience
- NOTE: Proposals with a diverse line-up of speakers will be given priority by our review committee
- Pro tip: Steer clear of generic topics and formats! Be mindful attendees have zoom exhaustion. Find a way to engage other than endless slideshows. Offer a truly unique experience and stand out of the crowd of hundreds of other design events
DATES + INFO
- The 2022 Edition will take place June 21-25
- Deadline for 2022 Edition proposals May 20th, 2022.
- Formats: In-Person, In-Person with Livestream to our website, Virtual Online Only with Q+A, Virtual Pre-recorded with Live Q+A, Pre-Recorded On-Demand Video (no live Q+A)
- Virtual Events: Will be hosted on our platform. You can have live or pre-recorded event. Replay of virtual events will be available within 72 hours.
- Pre-recorded events are accepted and encouraged, with live Q+A offered on your scheduled event date
- In-Person Events: Get creative and think of interesting ways to engage with attendees other than endless slides.
- Applications will be approved on a rolling basis and will be notified via email within a week
- Please read Hosting Basics and FAQ before applying
- Application fee covers marketing/promotion, technical support and topic feedback as well as an official listing on our calendar and supports SF Design Week to be financially sustainable into the future.
- SF Design Week manages ticketing and offers attendees an all – access pass to attend, excludes workshops and special events (contact our team for more details). Revenue from event ticketing is considered a donation by your organization to SF Design Week, a nonprofit 501c3, to cover the hard costs of producing the event for the community. All Community Hosts will be added to our list of Community Partners as a thank you.
- Community Event host fee $369
- Nonprofit Community host fee $225
- Minority owned companies/brands or representing underserved communities: >>Fee waived
WHY DO WE CHARGE AN APPLICATION FEE?
- The application fee allows SF Design Week, a 501c3 to deliver on our promise to effectively promote your event to the press, media and general audience. The fee also covers the cost of platforms, software, our staff and Tech support for virtual events. We’ve been especially affected by the pandemic, so consider your fee investing in SF Design Week!
- The Application Fee includes guidance and consultation with our staff to create a memorable event that is well positioned for the SFDW audience
- If your application is not approved the fees are refunded to you. Once accepted, application fees are non-refundable even if you have to cancel
- 501c3 Nonprofits can register at a reduced fee
- You will receive a list of attendees who registered for your event, along with their email address. If you have additional data you’d like to collect during the attendee registration process, please let our event team know.
- If you are experiencing a hardship, are minority owned or represent an underserved community but would like to participate by hosting an event please >>fill out this application
WHY DOES SF DESIGN WEEK COLLECT ATTENDEE REGISTRATION FEES FOR MY EVENT?
- We’ve experienced severe hardship during the pandemic and the past few Editions almost didn’t happen. Similar to the past few years of Virtual Events, SF Design Week will offer attendees an all – access pass to attend, excludes workshops and special events (contact our team for more details) which will cover our hard costs this year and help us to fund future editions of SF Design Week.
- Revenue from event ticketing is considered a donation by your organization to SF Design Week and you will be added to our list of Community Partners
- You will receive unlimited complimentary ticket codes for your event to register your guests/VIPS/press/friends/employees.
- We offer free tickets for attendees who are members of underserved communities
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY + INLCUSION
- Celebrate our differences and advocate for each other
- Foster space for accessible and inclusive creativity
- Listen and learn by amplifying marginalized voices
- Spread knowledge and share resources
- Use our power to support our community
- Proposals that include a diverse range of speakers and designers of color will be prioritized by our selection committee
- Please fill out our form if application cost is a barrier for your business or non-profit or you are a minority-owned business or employ a diverse team which will be reflected in your event
- Financial assistance and other resources available for designers of color or marginalized communities who want to participate but need additional resources in order to do so
WHY PARTICIPATE BY HOSTING AN EVENT
- Be recognized as a premium industry leader
- Recruit new, top talent
- Get inspired as a team by creating fresh ideas that engage various audiences
- Increase exposure through e-blast promotions (20,000+ subscribers)
- Promotional post through our social media channels (25,000+ followers) and media + press engagement
- Gain Official SFDW Participant designation, with rights to use our logo and brand on promotions
- Reach over 40,000+ participating attendees, thought leaders, orgs and companies
- Give back and strengthen the community during the largest coordinated design event in the Bay Area
- Showcase your work and build relationships
WHAT WILL YOU GET?
- We offer guidance and consultation with our staff to create a memorable event that is well-positioned for the SFDW audience
- Insider tips into the community and culture for Bay Area community of designers
- Inclusion on our Official Events Calendar on sfdesignweek.org which is organized by date and use of SFDW branding
- Full page event promotion on our website complete with your company information and logo, event description, location and registration link
- SF Design Week manages ticketing and registration for your event
- Registration lists for your event including attendee emails
- Inclusion in our SFDW newsletters, social media and promotional calendars
- Technical advice and support for virtual events
WHO GETS INVOLVED
- San Francisco Design Week has grown to represent a diverse and vibrant industry across many design disciplines. From small startups to enterprise businesses, our hosts run the gamut:
Business of Design
Film / Media
VR / AR